Germany 2-1 Romania: Initial reactions and observations
Germany barely manage to keep the winning run going.
Initial reactions and observations
- Hansi’s subs changed the game. By brining on Thomas Muller and Kai Havertz, Germany suddenly looked reinvigorated both mentally and tactically, looking like a much better side in the process. Even so, this was a tough game for the Germans — the worst of the Flick era so far.
- Leroy Sane showed the ugly side of his finishing today. He had a few good chances, which, if converted, could’ve secured a comfortable win for the Germans. Still, he had a better performance than Reus and Werner, who were awful.
- Serge Gnabry continues his scoring form this season. He was arguably Germany’s most consistent attacker — let’s hope he continues this trend all the way to the World Cup and beyond.
Full time: Germany 2-1 Romania.
81’ — GOAL! Thomas Muller makes it 2-1 on a corner!
66’ — Hansi finally makes the subs, Havertz and Muller on for Reus and Werner.
52’ — GOAL! The German pressure has finally resulted in Gnabry scoring a goal. Now can Germany continue to win this?
45’ — The second half is underway!
Halftime observations and analysis
- Not a good show by the Germans so far. Hansi Flick needs to bring out subs to fix this. Bring on Musiala, Muller, and Havertz and let the party begin.
- In hindsight, maybe Thilo Kehrer isn’t a great fullback.
- First game without Manuel Neuer = first goal conceded by Germany under Flick. Ter Stegen simply doesn’t inspire confidence.
- Jonas Hofmann is sooooooooo slow.
- The second half needs to be better. Can’t win a world cup playing like this.
Halftime: Wow that sucked. Romania lead 1-0.
8’ — Goal. Hagi scores at the other end! The Germans fell asleep.
7’ — The referee whistled a penalty for a foul on Timo Werner, but VAR overturns it.
Kickoff: Germany are underway!
One hour until kickoff: We have our lineups! No Muller and Neuer is injured, these are sad times.
With no Bayern Munich content to satiate us for at least another week, it’s time for us to focus on Germany and Hansi Flick’s preparations for next year’s FIFA World Cup.
Romania are third in the qualifying group, and beating them would put the Germans that much closer to guaranteed qualification. Flick has a fully fit squad at his disposal, which includes multiple Bayern stars like Leroy Sane, Serge Gnabry, and Joshua Kimmich. Pre-match reports indicate that Marco Reus might get the nod over Thomas Muller for this one, but otherwise we expect very few surprises.
Can Hansi Flick bring Germany back to its best? The journey continues.
Location: Volksparkstadion, Hamburg, Germany
Time: 8:45 pm local time, 2:45 pm EST
Tips for commenting:
- If you’re a new member, feel free to introduce yourself! We’re
mostlyvery friendly! Also, we’re from all parts of the world so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- If the comments section starts to slow down for you, just hit the refresh button and keep commenting. It’s not necessary to have the whole comments loaded at one time while you’re just casually following along.
- Keep the sorting to “newest” to easily follow the conversation. It puts the newest comments at the top.
- Here at BFW we celebrate every goal like they do in the stadium: with a chant. The goal chants are for everyone to participate in! Even if you’re lagging behind the others, keep replying to the most recent call of the player’s name. Even if you missed the first call, just start from the second, and so on.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, please be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities. Racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language is not allowed whatsoever.
Check out our beginners thread if you have any more questions. That’s about it. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an unending well of Bayern Munich content? Sign up for an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it’s full match coverage and analysis, breaking news, podcasts or something completely different, we have it all.
LATEST VIDEO FROM SB NATION
How the Phillies’ miserable decade traces back to a brutal 2011 finish
IN THIS STREAM
VIEW ALL STORIES
MORE FROM BAVARIAN FOOTBALL WORKS
- Thomas Muller reacts to Germany’s hard fought 2-1 win over Romania
- Bavarian Podcast Works Postgame Show: Talking points from Germany’s 2-1 win over Romania
- Five observations from Germany’s difficult 2-1 win over Romania
- Match Awards from Germany’s last gasp 2-1 victory over Romania
- Germany Watch: Antonio Rüdiger calls Niklas Süle “super”
- The latest on those rumors linking Chelsea’s Timo Werner to Bayern Munich